Discussion about game

"Soldiers of Empires II" ("Soldiers of Empires 2") is a highly detailed turn based wargame of the World War Two beginning in 1939.

Re: Discussion about game

Postby Khanti » January 6th, 2016, 3:04 pm

25. It's too common for AI to use (fight) 30-men divisions. It looks ridiculous and nonsense.

26. New ships need elite recruits! Good idea, but AI uses up all its elites in a few days. So no more new AI ships after few days ;(

27. Air vs. sea battle. Land units transported by ship - 30 men "division" with 5 experience. Attacking is 27/27/27 Japanese air group with 100 experience (81 planes total). Losses: 3 Japanese airplanes, 3 American soldiers. Another try: 2 lost airplanes, 3 lost soldiers. The same "division" after landing is killed in one attack without any losses.
Khanti
Junior Sergeant
Junior Sergeant

Postby Darth Maximius » January 7th, 2016, 12:15 am

Khanti wrote:Version 1.4

Some thoughts.

Good job, Khanti. Good questions 8-) 8-)
Вбамбливаю авиацией. Обстреливаю артиллерией. Утопляю главным калибром линкоров. Разрушаю танками. Зачищаю пехотой. И все это - не слезая с кресла перед монитором.
Darth Maximius
Marshal of the Soviet Union
Marshal of the Soviet Union

Postby Khanti » January 7th, 2016, 5:40 am

Thanks Darth Maximius!

28. Warships vs. land transports in sea battle. Another land units transported by ship - 30 men "division". I've noticed I can attack it many times until it is killed. Great for TRAINING ships!
I can attack those 30-men "ghost" divisions as many as 6-9 times till it's dead (no matter what force I use). But better be careful when using battleships - they hurt them too badly and too fast (3-4 attack to kill). So the best ships for attacking "ghost" divisions are destroyers, carriers and light cruisers.

29. It looks like building/repairing ships is random. I have started 2 heavy cruisers Mogami class the same day: now one is 7%, the other is 11%. The question: is it important if ship is building alone in one square or with other (4) ships?

30. AI ships with 0 ammo seems lost. Do AI know how to resupply ammo in ships (friendly port)?

31. Land units. Do guns\mortars\equipment fire vs enemy even when "HQ, crews, others" men are 0 (zero)? I attacked land unit that has 118 infantry soldiers, 26 machineguns, 0 crews and 28 air defense guns with my 81 aircraft. Land unit is destroyed but I lost 6 planes.

32. Function "GO TO". I remember it from old games like Civ 1 or Civ 2. It will be very useful with tons of units. I can't remember where all my units were supposed to go last turn. Just too many units. If I could set "target to go" for unit, it will be easier.
Khanti
Junior Sergeant
Junior Sergeant

Postby Igor Kulakov » January 11th, 2016, 11:17 am

Khanti wrote:Version 1.4

Some thoughts.

1. Re-supply of units. I suggest reposition of elite and conscripts reserve troops. Conscripts should be default (first) option.
Elite are exception used only sporadically for special experienced units. Many times I wrongly used elite replacements instead of conscripts.

Ok. I can change.

Khanti wrote:2. Air-group screen. Range of specific air-crafts should be shown on air-group screen, the same way as max speed of ships. It will be easier when combining different air-crafts in one group. Now every time I need to check production screen.

Ok.

Khanti wrote:3. Stacks. I need to know overall strength of stacks. There are now max 5 sub-units, so you can use 1-5 numbers for these units, but please set first table for overall combined strength of whole stack. It takes too long to check every unit every time, I would like just to know combined strength of stack with one mouse click.

Ok.

Khanti wrote:4. Function "Last battle casualties" :)

Ok.

Khanti wrote:5. Please add disband land-air unit function (disband units like "infantry division", "mortar battalion" or "fighter squadron"). I need that function to properly form my stacks. I don't need some units and will be happy to disband them and use them soldiers and equipment for other units. Staff and equipment from disbanded units should go to depots (slow or fast).

Ok. But i'll be thinking about realistic conditions and limitations

Khanti wrote:6. Exchange of equipment in units. It will be funny to be able to replace some old equipment in units instead of waiting until it will be completely destroyed to fulfill it with new stuff. Example: to replace those T-26 tanks with newly produced T-34.

Ok. But i'll be thinking about realistic conditions and limitations

Khanti wrote:7. Tactical bombers are sometimes called "assault bombers" (in air group forming screen).

This is one class in game. Tactical bombers/assault bombers. Text names will be corrected

Khanti wrote:8. It seems there are desertions or deaths by illness. I loose troops even without fights (tested as USA in superscenario).

Wounded in previous battles every day they die(1%) and recover(1% to elite reserv)
Only this.

Khanti wrote:9. Ranger infantry battalion USA - has 1 hex movement (no cars or horses). It looks useless. I hoped rangers will be fast recon infantry.

For the scale of the map 20 * 20 km is only meaningful ratio of availability of transport / transport demand and road conditions. Tactical mobility and training are not fundamental at this scale.

To be continued...
Igor Kulakov
IgorLab Software TEAM
IgorLab Software TEAM

Postby Igor Kulakov » January 15th, 2016, 8:09 pm

Khanti wrote:10. It's bad if to remove first ship in naval stack, one need to re-attach all 4 other ships.
Example:
1. Cruiser 22%
2. Destroyer 100%
3. Destroyer 100%
4. Destroyer 100%
5. Destroyer 100%
I want to remove cruiser from stack without removing destroyers (it needs 4 days!).

Ok

Khanti wrote:11. I want to see ships statistics in screen when creating new ship (not only ammo, crew and cost).

Ok

Khanti wrote:12. How does exactly work function "maximum of planes" on carriers? It seems I can put more planes than max and they works normal.

Reserved for next version. Not used is now . And... i know, what this not good :-)

Khanti wrote:13. Do naval/torpedo bombers have any special attacks/critical chances vs. naval targets?

Yes, but ... it is important training, morale and characteristics

Khanti wrote:14. AI uses half ready divisions. I've seen German-AI storming British Isles with infantry divisions consisted only troops (no equipment) and below 10 points of experience.

Sometimes the number and availability goals higher priority (for AI) than a long time on training and equipping

Khanti wrote:15. It seems air force cannot bomb cities without troops in them. Even heavy bombers cannot.

SO FAR yes

To be continued...
Igor Kulakov
IgorLab Software TEAM
IgorLab Software TEAM

Postby Igor Kulakov » January 19th, 2016, 9:31 am

Khanti wrote:16. Standard scenario. I wonder why Taiho class CV is worse in every case than other big Japanese carriers (Soryu or Shokaku class have better AA). Taiho had those 12?100 mm (3.9 in)/65 cal Type 98 anti-aircraft guns, widely considered as best Japanese AA.

I'll look into the matter

Khanti wrote:17. It is very cumbersome to check equipment statistics (tanks, airplanes: infantry/armor/air attack values). I use it often to check if my planes should attack or not, but the only way is to use depot/production screen with those +-39/+-100 values. But there are over 2600 pieces of equipment. Please add +-500/+-1000 buttons.

Ok

Khanti wrote:18. Function sleep / sentry for units is a must. As USA I can have 4 thousands units! I can't skip them every turn! I want some of them to sleep until I click them when I will need them.

Yes, this feature will

Khanti wrote:20. They say that "At the beginning of the Pacific War no Allied fighter was a match for the Zero. The best of the early American Army fighters was probably the Curtiss P-40 and the early models of this fighter were distinctly inferior to the Zero." http://www.chuckhawks.com/best_fighter_planes.htm But in your game A6M2 is not superior, even in early months of war. A6M2 (July 40) is 15/10,the same as F4F-3 (September 39) and F4F-4 (November 41) is even better at 15/12.

Khanti wrote:21. Late American fighters. Most people think P-51 Mustang was better than P-47 Thunderbolt. You seems to think alike. But I've read this article when former fighter pilot said clearly that P-47 was superior: http://www.chuckhawks.com/p47.htm.

Khanti wrote:22. Why USA infantry division`42 pattern did not have any AA guns inside?

Khanti wrote:23. It looks that only experienced engineer units have river crossing ability. Units with conscripts have no ability.

Yes. (engineer/pontoon/saper unit need >= 300 men, and experience >= 30). And for building airbases also.

Khanti wrote:24. Lost airplanes, which not finished their turn on airfield/carrier, are not shown in casualties screen. Just gone without notice.

Yes. yet it is so.

Khanti wrote:25. It's too common for AI to use (fight) 30-men divisions. It looks ridiculous and nonsense.

Treat them as separate small units (with the possibility in future fill full OOB)

Khanti wrote:26. New ships need elite recruits! Good idea, but AI uses up all its elites in a few days. So no more new AI ships after few days ;(

And..?

Khanti wrote:27. Air vs. sea battle. Land units transported by ship - 30 men "division" with 5 experience. Attacking is 27/27/27 Japanese air group with 100 experience (81 planes total). Losses: 3 Japanese airplanes, 3 American soldiers. Another try: 2 lost airplanes, 3 lost soldiers. The same "division" after landing is killed in one attack without any losses.

Reduces the damage caused to small vessels with low capacity because of their stealth.

Khanti wrote:28. Warships vs. land transports in sea battle. Another land units transported by ship - 30 men "division". I've noticed I can attack it many times until it is killed. Great for TRAINING ships!
I can attack those 30-men "ghost" divisions as many as 6-9 times till it's dead (no matter what force I use). But better be careful when using battleships - they hurt them too badly and too fast (3-4 attack to kill). So the best ships for attacking "ghost" divisions are destroyers, carriers and light cruisers.

Answer as in 28.
Any ideas?

Khanti wrote:29. It looks like building/repairing ships is random. I have started 2 heavy cruisers Mogami class the same day: now one is 7%, the other is 11%. The question: is it important if ship is building alone in one square or with other (4) ships?

No.

But:

Example:

Heav. aircraft carrier Random ~1% add in 6 day ~600 day full time
Heav. aircraft carrier Random ~1% add in 3 day ~300 day full time
Destroyer Random ~1% add in 2 day ~200 day full time

Khanti wrote:30. AI ships with 0 ammo seems lost. Do AI know how to resupply ammo in ships (friendly port)?

Some error.

AI know about friendly(ally) port, but error - no supply. It will be fixed
In its port all ok

Khanti wrote:31. Land units. Do guns\mortars\equipment fire vs enemy even when "HQ, crews, others" men are 0 (zero)? I attacked land unit that has 118 infantry soldiers, 26 machineguns, 0 crews and 28 air defense guns with my 81 aircraft. Land unit is destroyed but I lost 6 planes.

Soldiers fight, but with less quality.
Simplification, of course :-)

Khanti wrote:32. Function "GO TO". I remember it from old games like Civ 1 or Civ 2. It will be very useful with tons of units. I can't remember where all my units were supposed to go last turn. Just too many units. If I could set "target to go" for unit, it will be easier.

Ok
Igor Kulakov
IgorLab Software TEAM
IgorLab Software TEAM

Postby Atlas2 » February 18th, 2016, 3:33 am

Igor Kulakov wrote:
Khanti wrote:26. New ships need elite recruits! Good idea, but AI uses up all its elites in a few days. So no more new AI ships after few days ;(

And..?

Sorry. No for Khanti. In my game (v 1.4) AI-Spain and AI-Germany start build new ships in january 42
Atlas2
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Igor Kulakov » February 18th, 2016, 6:59 pm

Atlas2 wrote:
Sorry. No for Khanti. In my game (v 1.4) AI-Spain and AI-Germany start build new ships in january 42

Building of ships has a lower priority than the army units and air forces. When you reach the limit of the number of units, the construction of ships can't be started. And also it depends on the available cells of near ports (shipyards).
Igor Kulakov
IgorLab Software TEAM
IgorLab Software TEAM

Previous

Return to Soldiers of Empires II